Ceramic tile can be used outside, although it is not the first choice of many. It is highly water absorbent, giving it a low frost resistance. It is also more likely to become worn and chip easily. Refinish First can fix and refinish ceramic tiles that haven’t held up well to outside temperature changes.
Ceramic tiles usually carry a Porcelain Enamel Institute or PEI rating of 0 to 3, but can go up to a 5. These ratings indicate where the tile should be used depending on the level of foot traffic that certain area experiences.
- Class 0: used where no foot traffic is anticipated; should only be used on walls for decoration such as backsplashes.
- Class 1: used primarily for master bathroom floors where it is anticipated shoes will not be worn.
- Class 2: used in main bathroom areas and bedrooms where slippers or soft-soled shoes will be present.
- Class 3: used in light to moderate traffic areas; any area of the house, except heavy traffic areas such as the entry way and kitchen.
- Class 4: used in areas where abrasive or dirt could be tracked; good for residential entry ways, kitchens, balconies and countertops.
- Class 5: used in the heaviest traffic areas; suggested for residential, commercial and institutional flooring.
Because many types of ceramic tile have a relatively high water absorption rating, damage is to be expected over time. Refinish First can fix chips in tile and re-grout everything to make it look like new. They offer three standard, solid colors along with more than 30 stone accent finishes. Refinish First can also create almost any custom color desired.
Old, worn down tile is just days away from looking brand new with Refinish First. Contact them for a free estimate.