Most people never consider the possibility of falling in the shower, never thinking it could happen to them. Perhaps they are young and invincible or have been using a shower mat or slip resistant floor stick-ons in their shower or bathtub for years without incident. The problem is, accidents happen, shower mats and stick-ons occasionally slide, and these scenarios can result in tub-time disaster.
Let’s take a look at some of the facts regarding bathroom slips:
- The CDC reported an estimate 234,084 non-fatal injuries in the bathroom throughout the year of 2008 in people 15 years of age and older. Nearly two-thirds of these injuries occurred in the bathtub or shower.
- Falls are the leading cause of unintentional home-injury related deaths in the United States, claiming around 6,000 lives each year.
- Over 43,000 children are injured in the bathtub every year in our nation alone.
- Slip resistance isn’t just for the home. Bathtub, shower, and walkway slips account for a multimillion dollar expenditure to the hotel, motel and health care industries each year.
- Despite this, 2 out of every 3 death related to slip falls occur in the home.
- As many as 66% of injuries for people over 65 were the result of a slip related fall.
- 75% of deaths related to slips and falls occur to those over 65. This means that those under 65 still account for 25% of the deaths.
- A legally recognized slip and fall can occur in a private home. This means, if you have guests over and have not properly slip proofed your bathroom, you may be held liable in court.
If you think those statistics are scary, it’s because they are. Your ability to properly slip-proof your shower or bathtub can have a lasting effect on your life and the lives of your loved ones. Refinish First offers slip resistance you can rely on with options for bathtubs and shower pans. Our slip resistant surfaces are chemically bonded to the floor of your tub to ensure that it will not slip, crack or peel. For the ultimate in shower protection for your loved ones, contact Refinish First.